Now at KIMS Hubballi
Department of Pediatrics
Research Publications during the last 2 years
1. Shashikiran BK, Ratageri VH, Madhu PK, Shepur TA. Pyomyositis in Unusual Site (Subscapularis and Infraspinatus Muscles). Indian J Pediatr. 2013. Epub 2013/07/25.
2. Panigatti P, Ratageri VH, Shivanand I, Madhu PK, Shepur TA. Profile and Outcome of Childhood Tuberculosis Treated with DOTS-An Observational Study. Indian J Pediatr. 2013. Epub 2013/07/31.
3. Ratageri VH, Ajay S, Shivanand I, Madhu PK, Shepur TA. Profile and Outcome of Acute Pediatric Poisoning. Karnataka Paediatric Journal. 2013;28(2&3):63-66.
4. Naidu R, Ajay S, Sindhu MV, Shashikiran KB, Shivanand I, Desai RH. Bartter Syndrome- Presenting as Severe Acute Malnutrition. Karnataka Paediatric Journal. 2013;28(2&3):63-66
5. Panigatti P1, Ratageri VH, Shivanand I, Madhu PK, Shepur TA. Profile and outcome of childhood tuberculosis treated with DOTS--an observational study. Indian J Pediatr. 2014 Jan;81(1):9-14. doi: 10.1007/s12098-013-1175-8. Epub 2013 Jul 28.
6. Shashikiran BK1, Ratageri VH, Madhu PK, Shepur TA. Pyomyositis in unusual site (subscapularis and infraspinatus muscles). Indian J Pediatr. 2014 Mar;81(3):319-20. doi: 10.1007/s12098-013-1156-y. Epub 2013 Jul 24.
7. Vinod H. Ratageri, P.K. Madhu, M.V. Sindhu, Shivanand Illalu, T.A. Shepur, Clinico-laboratory profile and outcome of rickettsia in children: Hubli (Karnataka) experience. Pediatric Infectious Disease Volume 6, Issue 1, Pages 3–6, January–March, 2014
8. Naidu RV, Desai RH, Dorle AM, Shivanand I. Red cell distribution width (RDW) in the diagnosis of iron deficiency anemia in children between 6 months to 2 years. Medica Innovatica, June 2014, Volume 3-issue 1
9. Desai RH, Shivanand I, Naidu RV, Ajay K. Spectrum of histopathological findings in childhood nephritic syndrome in tertiary care hospital. . Medica Innovatica, June 2014, Volume 3-issue 1
10. Dr. Prakash K Wari – Contribution to section 3 on respiratory infections in “Illustrated book on pediatric infections” published by Jaypee Brothers
11. Dr. Prakash K Wari – Contributing to a chapter on “Drowning in Children” to “Textbook on pulmonology for undergraduates and postgraduates”
- Ratageri VH,Kabra SK,LodhaR,DwivediSN,and Seth V.Lung function tests in asthma:which indices are better for assessment of severity? J.of Tropical Pediatrics2001:47;57-59.
- Ratageri VH, Kabra SK, Dwivedi SN,and Seth V. Factors associated with severe asthma. Indian Pediatrics 2000:37;1072-1082
- Ratageri VH, Rajshankar S. Palatal haemangioma with cleft zero. Indian Pediatrics2002:39;693-694.
- Kabra SK, Jain Y, Singhal T and Ratageri VH. Dengue hemorrhagic fever: Clinical manifestations and management. Indian J Pediatrics1999:66;93-101.
- Kabra SK, Ratageri VH, Seth V. Long term management of asthma in children. Pediatrics Today1998:1;75-81.
- Kabra SK, Ratageri VH. Tuberculosis in children; monitering of treatment and management of side effects.Pediatrics Today1998:2;81-84.
- Ratageri VH, Shepur TA. Empyema following kerosene poisoning. Indian Pediatr2005:42; 399.
- Ratageri VH, Shepur TA, Patil GC, Patil MM. Crooked cry with Agenesis of Lung. The Indian Practitioner2005:58; 446-447.
- Ratageri VH, Shepur TA, Wari PK et al. Clinical profile and outcome of Dengue cases. Indian J Pediatrics2005: 72; 708- 709.
- Ratageri VH, Rajshankar S. Virilising Adrenal Carcinoma in 4 year Female child. The Indian Practitioner2005:58; 508-510.
- Ratageri VH Shepur TA Patil MM. Scurvy in infantile tremor syndrome. Indian J Pediatrics 2005 : 72: 883-884
- Ratageri VH, Shepur TA, Jayakumar. Jervell and Lange-Neilson Syndrome. The Indian Practitioner 2006:59;385-386.
- Ratageri VH, Shepur TA, Pol RR. Foreign body-What is unusual?. Indian J Pediatrics 2006 : 73: 452-453.
- Ratageri VH, Rajshankar S. Crooked Cry and VATER association. The Antiseptic2006:103;554.
- Ratageri VH, Shepur TA, Infantile Tremor Syndrome-New observations. Curr .Pedtr. Reasearch2006:1&2;9-11
- Ratageri VH, Shepur TA,Kiran G.Vitreous haemmorrhage secondary to vitamin k deficiency bleeding. Indian J Pediatrics 2007 : 74: 356.
- Pol RR, Shepur TA, Ratageri VH. Clinico-laboratory profile of pediatric HIV in Karnataka. Indian J Pediatr. 2007;74(12):1071-5.
- Ratageri VH, Shepur TA. Four Limb phocomelia. Indian J Pediatr. 2008 75(2):170.
- Ray P,Ratageri VH, Kabra SK et al. Chikungunya infection in India:results of a prospective hospital based multicentric study. PLoS ONE 2012:7; e30025.
- Shepur TA et al, Kliepple feil syndrome with absence of ribs. Indian Practitioner 2007; 60, (8) 502.
- Shepur TA et al, Prevalance of Mycoplasma Pneumonia among HIV infected children. Indian J Pediatr. 2011: 78(4):430-434.
- Shepur TA et al, Molecular basis of beta thalassemia in Karnataka, India. Genetic testing and molecular biomarkers. Vol 00; Num 00; 2011; Online- Mary Ann Liebert, Inc.
- R V Naidu et al, Clinico- bacteriological investigation on dysentery in children -A hospital study. Indian J Micro. 1987. 127(1-4):43-50.
- R V Naidu et al, Fecal leucocytes in bacillary dysentery in children. J Health Sci. 1988: XIV: 34-37.
- R V Naidu et al, Transient neonatal diabetes mellitus – a case report. International Diabetes Digest, 1993:Vol 14; No 2; 40-42.
- Raichur DV, Aralihond AP, Kasturi AV, Patil DH. Capillary Refil Time in Term Neonates: Bedside Assessment. Indian J Pediatr 2001; 68:
- Raichur DV, Magar VN, Wari PK, Chandragouda DK. Hemiplegia and Motor Aphasia following Scorpion Sting. Indian J Pediatr 2001; 68:
- Raichur DV. Radial Artery Cannulation in Neonates: A New Method. Indian J Pediatr 2000; 67:843-844.
- Raichur DV, Deshpande RV, Chandragouda DK, Savitha D. Attire and Appearance of Pediatrician: Parents’/Guardians’ Opinion. Indian J Pediatr 2001; 68: 413-416.
- Raichur DV, Wari PK, Kasturi AV, Savitha D. Peripheral Vessel Exchange Transfusion. Indian Pediatr 1999; 36: 914-917.
- Raichur DV, Deshpande RV, Chandragouda DK. Tuberculous Meningitis Associated with Diabetic Ketoacidosis. Indian Pediatr 1999; 36:1183-1184.
- Rajiv PK, Raichur DV. Air Embolism in Assisted Ventilation. Indian Pediatr 1998; 35: 167-169.
- Ranade SR, Amanapure PA, Raichur DV, Patil PG. Cystic Kidneys in Tuberous Sclerosis. Indian Pediatr 1993; 30: 921-924.
Raichur DV, Section editor, Pulmonology section, IAP Colour Atlas of Pediatrics Contributions by Shepur TA and Ratageri VH.
Department of Pediatrics
Plans for research during the next 2 years
1. A seamless, sequential Phase III, multicenter, randomized, single-blindstudy to evaluate the immunogenicity, reactogenicityand safety of ROTAVAC 5C new formulations of the live attenuated rotavirus vaccine as a 3 dose series when compared with existing ROTAVAC® in healthy infants.
2. A Phase IV, Open labelled study to evaluate the non- interference in immune response of one dose of inactivated Japanese encephalitis vaccine (JENVAC®) administered to children at ≥9 to ≤10 months, to measles vaccine given concomitantly.
Department of Pediatrics
Details of CME programmes, Conferences and/or any academic activities conducted in the last 2 years
- In assaociation with IAP, Dharwad Dist A CME in Pediatric Neurology by Dr. Lokesh Lingappa, MD, DM, MRCPCH, Fellow in Pediatric Neurology (U.K), Consultant Pediatric Neurologist, Rainbow Hospitals, Hyderabad was held on 22/02/2014, Saturday at The Gateway Hotel, HUBLI on the following topics
· Management of difficult to control seizure
· Headaches in children - commonly asked questions.
CME Programmes Click here
Pediatric Dermatology CME was conducted successfully on 23.03.14 at Denissons Hotel, Hubli by Indian Academy of Pediatrics, Dharwad District in association with Department of Pediatrics and Department of Dermatology, KIMS, Hubli. Following speakers gave lecture on different topics
- Dr. Ravi Hiremagalur, Consultant Pediatric Dermatologist, Bangalore
- Dr. Raghavendra Tophakhane, Prof and HOD of Dermatology, KIMS, Hubli
- Dr. Aparna Palite, Prof of Dermatology, BLDE Medical CXollege, Bijapur
- Dr. Ravi Rathod, Professor of Dermatology, KIMS, Hubli.
- Dr. Vinod Ratageri, Associate Professor of Pediatrics, KIMS, Hubli
3. Basic Pediatric Intensive Care Course (BPICC) was conducted successfully at Golden Jubille Hall, KIMS, Hubli on 26th and 27th of April 2014. A total of 50 restricted members benefitted from the course. The following Eminent speakers from different parts of India conducted the workshop
a. Dr Praveen Khilnani (Delhi)
b. Dr Samith Alva ( Mangalore)
c. Dr. Arun Barunwal (Patna)
d. Dr Agnisekhar Saha (Kolkotta)
e. Dr Bichitrobhanu Sarkar (kolkotta)
f. Dr Jesal Sheth(Mumbai)
g. Dr Girish HC(Bengaluru)
h. Dr Meera Ramakrishnan(Bengaluru)
i. Dr. Basavaraju (Bengaluru)
j. Dr. Devaraj Raichur (Hubli)
4. A Neonatology CME was conducted on Sunday, 25th, May 2014 at Hotel Hans, PB Road, Hubli between 9 AM to 5 PM. This CME enlightened us in better management of Neonatal problems. We had eminent faculty from US, Bangalore, Belgaum and Mangalore like
a. Dr. Prakash Kabbur, Consultant Neonatologist, Honalalu, HI, US
b. Dr. Pradeep GCM, Consultant Neonatologist, MSRIH, Bangalore
c. Dr. S. M. Dhaded, Consultant Neonatologist, JNMC, Belgaum
d. Dr. S. R. Fattepur, Asst Prof of Pediatrics, Consultant Neonatologist, Hubli
e. Dr. Ambesh Prasad, Consultant Neonatologist, Hubli
70 delegates attended the CME. Delegates well appreciated the CME.
- A NATIONAL CME ON PEDIATRIC PULMONOLOGY AND DISASTER MANAGEMENT was conducted on 12th and 13th July, 2014 at KIMS, Hubli. A total of 353 delegates attended the CME making it a huge success. A DEMP workshop for Police Forces, teachers, NGOs and other people who are involved with children was conducted which was attended by over 80 people. A galaxy of faculty including Dr. P K wari, Dr. V H Ratageri, Dr. Shivanand I, Dr. S. K. Kabra, Dr. Manazir Ali, Dr. Rakesh Gupta, Dr. Deepti Singh, Dr. H. Paramesh, Dr. Narayanappa, and others delivered lectures on different topics.
6. Departement of Pediatrics, Karnataka Institute of Medical Sciences celebrated “ORS day” on 30th July, 2014 by organizing a symposium on “ORS” awareness by final year MBBS students. Around 150 UG students of different terms attended the event. As per the IAP Instruction Intensified Diarrhoea Control Fortnight was done with awareness of ORS spread to the patients visiting the OPDs/ IPDs.
- The Indian Academy of Pediatrics, Dharwad District Branch in association with Department of Pediatrics, KIMS, Hubli inagurated the “World Breast feeding week” on 01st August, 2014 at ward no 105 in KIMS, Hubli. The Director of KIMS, Dr. U. S. Hangarga was the Chief Guest. Dr Vinod Ratageri, I/C Head of the department of Pediatrics, KIMS, Hubli welcomed the gathering and stressed the importance of breast feeding to the lactating mother. Dr Devaraj Raichur, member NNF, Dharwad District Branch spoke on the occasion regarding the various activities to be held during the whole week of the “World Breast feeding week” from 01st to 7th August, 2014 to create awareness of breast feeding to the community at large. Dr. Bhagawan, Postgraduate spoke in detail about the advantages of Brest feeding to the mother and child.
8. A Symposium on importance of Breast feeding and also stressing on this year theme was held on 7th August, 2014 by the Postgraduate students of Department of Pediatrics. The audience included Undergraduate students of KIMS, Hubli, staff members of various departments, nursing staff of the hospital. The Director of KIMS, Hubli was the guest of honor for the event. Roughly around 200 members attended the function.
9. A IAP-ALS workshop was conducted at KIMS, Hubli on 13th and 14th September, 2014. 39 members participated out of which 33members got certificates. PWW method was done which was well appreciated by the students. Faculty included
a. Dr. Vijayalaxmi Kulgod from Belgaum
b. Dr. Devaraj Raichur from Hubli
c. Dr. Vinod Ratageri from Hubli
d. Dr. S. R. Fattepur from Hubli
e. Dr. Madhu P. K. from Hubli
f. Dr. Sanjeev from Davangere
g. Dr. Abhilasha from Belgaum
10. IAP Undergraduate quiz of Intracollegiate round was held on 8th September, 2014 and winners of this competition were awarded cash prize of Rs. 1000/- each.
11. IAP Postgraduate quiz of Divisional round was held on 30th September, 2014 and winners of this competition were awarded cash prize of Rs. 1000/- each. Total 7 teams from different medical collages participated this round.
12. PEDIBLOOM and 3rd ENRICHON will be held on 12th, 13th, 14th of December 2014.
A unique programme for Postgraduates where in group of expert Pediatricians all over country interacting with students in various events such as case discussion, symposium, panel discussion, moral class, mock viva-voce etc and a award for young talent.
ENRICHON – 3rd National Conference on Childrens Environmental Health.