Anatomy plays an important role as one of the basic subjects of Medical sciences, in pursuit of Medical degree. We aim at moulding and equipping the students with enough knowledge for clinical studies, thereby helping them to become confident and competent in their professional endeavors.
The department started way back in the year 1957 at Karnataka medical college Hubli, in old building at Vidyanagar, Hubli. Subsequently in 1961,it was shifted to the present building. Dr.V.G.Kale headed the department to begin with, from 1957 – 1960.
Ever since its inception, the department has grown under the able guidance of many Professors and Heads of the department. Apart from shaping the department, they have served incredibly to mould the departmental values, ethics and professionalism. The state level 4th KCA Conference was organized by the department during 2002-2003. The department is proud donor of KIMS Gold Medal award for the best clinical anatomy paper presented in KCA state level conference conducted annually. The department has a Body donation Society, which is one of its kind in the entire north Karnataka. Employed with well qualified, dedicated, teaching faculty and trained non teaching staff, the department proudly boasts of a state of the art Museum, Lecture hall and laboratories. We teach and train the MBBS students about the human body, by way of Lectures, demonstrations, dissection of cadavers and histology. Apart from MBBS student we do teach the B Sc Nursing students and Paramedical students.
Body Donation Society.
We have registered the body donation society under the Karnataka Society act –1960 dated 24th July 1996.
The office bearers are as follows:--
1. President. Dr. U. S. Hangaraga. Director, KIMS Hubli.
2. Secretary. Dr. Rajeshwari C Eligar. Professor & HOD, Dept of Anatomy.
3. Treasurer. Dr. Amarendra M. Kabadi. Asst-Professor Dept of Anatomy.
4. Executive. Committee Members. Teaching Staff, Department of Anatomy.
Objectives of the society:--
- To establish Medical Organisation for creating social awareness of Body Donation
- To execute the desire of any person who has expressed his/her will orally or in writing to donate his/her dead body after the demise, if the relations so desire, they can donate dead body to authorized person of Medical Institution or research centre accordingly.
- To accept the unclaimed bodies of deceased persons from authorized officials who is appointed by the Government of concern and hand over the unclaimed body to an approved Institution for any therapeutic purpose or for the purpose for Medical Education of Research including anatomical examination and dissection.
- To establish educational institutions of various kind for developing philosophy for use of dead body for service,
- To establish and arrange social cultural and educational programmes
Following are the details of the Department: